horizontal rule

 

Site Navigation

Home
Messages to the Society
   President's Letter to Membership - Dec. 2016
Recent Events
   2011 Annual Meeting
   2011 Oyster Roast
   2013 GW Birthday Dinner
   2014 GW Birthday Dinner
Society Information
   How It Began
   Activities & Accomplishments
   Stand of Colours
   Speeches & Articles of Interest
   Officers & Board of Managers
Calendar of Events
   2016 Calendar
   2017 Calendar
Society Membership  
   Membership Information
   Membership Fees
   Membership Forms
Colour Guard
   Purpose of the Colour Guard
   Flag Collection
Patriots Fund  
   Purpose of the Fund
   Donations Made by the Fund
   Recent Donors to the Fund
Scholarship Program
   Program Overview
   Recent Scholars
   Scholarship Application
Newsletters
Links of Interest
Contact Us
 


 

 

Colour Guard Flag Collection

The Society remains delighted to receive additional flags and colours
 to enlarge its stand. As more research about the Revolution is done,
 new (old) flags are being found.

A brief description of each Society's flag is presented here, along with
 a colour drawing. You can click on the thumbnail picture of each flag
 to view a larger image.

Flags 31 to 40

31. Light Horse Harry Lee's Light Dragoons Guidon - First carried  by Lee's Legion in the Southern Campaign in 1781 and continued in use after Yorktown until 1782. This cavalry flag is much smaller than the other Colours because it was carried by a man on horseback. Presented by Harry H. Augustine, Jr.
32. Standard of Pulaski's Legion - This banner was made by Moravian nuns of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and presented to Colonel Casimir Pulaski in 1778 when he organized an independent  corps of 68 horse and 200 foot soldiers at Baltimore. Pulaski bore this banner gallantly through many a campaigns until he was mortally wounded at Savannah, on October 9, 1779. His adjutant, though wounded himself, returned the banner to Baltimore where it is preserved at the museum of the Maryland Historical Society. Presented by Mr. and Mrs. Frank M. Galleher, Jr., and their three sons in memory of her father, Judge W. Moscoe Huntley, a former president of the society.
33. Pine Tree Flag - Also known as the New England Pine Tree Ensign, this flag was generally used on ships in 1776 and is believed to be one of the flags flown by Commodore Ezek Hopkins, Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Navy. The original is preserved at the United States Naval Academy. Presented by Nathaniel T. R. Burgwyn and Dr. Collinson P. E. Burgwyn in memory of their sister, Emily Burgwyn Sneed.
34. The Rattlesnake Flag - Usually known as the Ensign of the South Carolina Navy., This flag is believed to have been designed by Colonel Gadsden of South Carolina, in 1776, for the Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Navy. It was also used by various units of the American Army during the Revolution. Captain Gustavus Conyngham flew this flag on his vessels, the Surprise and the Revenge in his successful attacks on British commerce in 1777. The original flag did not survive. Presented by Robert Bolling Lancaster in memory of his ancestor, Captain Robert Bolling.
35. Flag of Second New Hampshire Regiment of 1777 (Bluff Field) - Under the command of Colonel Enoch Poor, the Second New Hampshire Regiment, originally organized to reinforce John Stark's Green Mountain Boys, accompanied General Washington across the Delaware on Christmas night 1776 and was at Valley Forge. The original flag (along with a sister flag with blue field) was captured by the British near Ft. Anne, New York on July 8, 1777, and was shipped to England. It was returned in 1912 and now is the collection of the New Hampshire Historical Society. The emblem on the field is a radiating sun with the motto "WE ARE ONE" surrounded by a circle of 13 chain links with States' names. Presented by Randolph M. Allen, Douglas R. Allen and Thomas N. Allen in memory of their father, William Trousdale Allen.
36. Flag of Second New Hampshire Regiment of 1777 (Blue Field) - One of two flags of this Regiment (See above flag description). Here, the chain links is replaced by the 2nd Regiments shield, with a scroll above it reading "The Glory Not The Prey". Presented by H. Merrill Plaisted III, Frederick W. Plaisted II and Parker B. Plaisted in honor of Harris M. Plaisted.
37. Division Colours of the Seventh Pennsylvania Regiment of 1776 - (Also known as the Brandywine Flag). The original is at Independence National Historic Park, in Philadelphia. The Flag was carried at the September 11, 1777 Battle of Brandywine, in a Company that was part of the Seventh Pennsylvania. Presented in honor of Marvin K. Heffner, by his wife Anita and children Suzanne Heffner Brown and John George Heffner.
38. The Soissonais Regiment - This Regiment formed in 1758 was one of four brought by Rochambeau to America in 1780 to help the young nation gain its independence from England. The flag was presented in memory of Frank M. Galleher, Jr., a former president of the Virginia Society, by his wife, Katherine Huntley Galleher, and his three sons, Frank M. III, Moscoe Huntley, and Wayne B. Galleher.
39. The Union Flag - There are four flags in this series of the John Paul Jones Coat of Arms. This comprised of red, blue and white stripes and a canton in the upper left bearing a pine tree. It was presented in honor of Frank M. Galleher, Jr., a past president of the Virginia Society.
40. The First Flag of North Carolina  - It is sometimes referred to as the "Beehive Flag" or "Hornet's Nest". It was presented by Dr. William Sams Tunner and his sons, William Woodhul and Jonathan Sams, in honor of Dr. Tunner's parents, Lieutenant General William Henry Tunner, and Sarah Margaret Sams Tunner.

| Flags 1 - 10 | Flags 11 - 20 | Flags 21 - 30 | Flags 41 - 50 | Flags 51 |

 

horizontal rule